April 16, 2024, 09:13:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I construct equation for this  (Read 1278 times)

Offline poshakpathak

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do I construct equation for this
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:01:15 AM »
A 0.216 g sample of an aluminium compound X reacts with an excess of water to produce a
single hydrocarbon gas. This gas burns completely in O2 to form H2O and CO2 only. The volume of CO2 at room temperature and pressure is 108 cm3.
What is the formula of X?
A Al2C3
B Al3C2
C Al3C4
D Al4C3
I am lost on the first step. Im in high school and havent been taught reaction of carbon-containing Al compounds with water.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:11:55 AM by poshakpathak »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: How do I construct equation for this
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:03:46 AM »
This is a common problem for students - remember everything. In chemistry, this is impossible. You have to remember a lot, but even more, you have to think and use the stored information extensively. It is finally "Cambridge International Advanced Subsidiary and Advanced Level".

First of all - aluminum and carbon show some typical valences, 3 and 4 respectively. This gives you the option of choosing only one aluminum-carbon compound. Excess of water suggests a hydrolysis reaction resulting in one hydrocarbon. All you need to do is make sure that the ratio of the number of CO2 moles to the number of moles of the compound is equal to the carbon coefficient in that compound.

But here we have another problem - you need to read the 20-page Data Booklet and find out what "at room temperature and pressure" means - "Vm = 24.0 dm3mol–1 under room conditions". For a one-hour exam of 40 questions (90 sec per question), at least information should be provided on which pages should be searched for additional information needed for this question.
AWK

Sponsored Links