April 24, 2024, 09:34:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Converting phenothiazine-derivate-aldehyde to carboxylic acid  (Read 1413 times)

Offline spankytank

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Converting phenothiazine-derivate-aldehyde to carboxylic acid
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »
Hi!
I'm going to attempt to convert the aldehyde to carboxylic acid, and I'm wondering about which kind of reaction to use. An oxidation (ex. oxone) would react with the sulfide- and amine-groups. I've looked into the Cannizzaro reaction, and it seems viable. But the problem is that the reaction can only yield about 50% of desired product, and I dont have alot of aldehyde to play around with. Do any of you have a suggestion of an alternative way of converting the aldehyde group?

Thanks!

Offline blackcat

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
Re: Converting phenothiazine-derivate-aldehyde to carboxylic acid
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:25:58 PM »
Hi!
I'm going to attempt to convert the aldehyde to carboxylic acid, and I'm wondering about which kind of reaction to use. An oxidation (ex. oxone) would react with the sulfide- and amine-groups. I've looked into the Cannizzaro reaction, and it seems viable. But the problem is that the reaction can only yield about 50% of desired product, and I dont have alot of aldehyde to play around with. Do any of you have a suggestion of an alternative way of converting the aldehyde group?

Thanks!

Good question as the oxidation that normally turns aldehyde into acid will give S,S-dioxide in your case.

This is the remedy: Change CHO into CN (nitrile) by hydoxylamine, then hydrolysis. No oxidation involved.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
I do not know whether or not these ideas will be helpful.  However, in my experience the first oxidation of sulfur to a sulfoxide is facile, but the second oxidation can be sluggish.  In addition one might consider deliberately oxidizing to a sulfoxide as a kind of protecting group, then converting the aldehyde to a carboxylic acid.  There are reagents which can reduce a sulfoxide back to a sulfide.

Offline blackcat

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »
I do not know whether or not these ideas will be helpful.  However, in my experience the first oxidation of sulfur to a sulfoxide is facile, but the second oxidation can be sluggish.  In addition one might consider deliberately oxidizing to a sulfoxide as a kind of protecting group, then converting the aldehyde to a carboxylic acid.  There are reagents which can reduce a sulfoxide back to a sulfide.

Then Jone's reagent does the job to turn to S,S-dioxide (but not mCBPA). Then S,S-dioxide can be reduced by heating with sulfur.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:14:09 AM »
This could be usefull;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tishchenko_reaction

Its not going to affect the sulfur or amine.
You will have to hydrolyze the ester offcourse.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:44:51 AM by rolnor »

Sponsored Links