April 20, 2024, 05:26:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stock Solution  (Read 1292 times)

Offline butters1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Stock Solution
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:36:21 PM »
Hello guys, recently it was required of me to create a stock solution in the lab (as easy as it sounds, i'm actually unsure how to begin and very embarrassed to ask this)

I am suppose to create a stock solution (of about 10 mL) of 5 different hydro carbons in hexane ( approx. 10 thousand microliters/mL)  How would one go about creating this mixture? (extra info if necessary: hydrocarbons are liquids) It is also required of me to keep note of exact concentrations during this prep work.

Thank you in advance.  ;D

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Stock Solution
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 03:45:08 AM »
Something wrong with the unit? 10 thousand microliter/ml = 10 ml/ml .

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 12:59:09 PM »
Units aside, say you actually want 10 microlitres per ml. How many microlitres are in 1ml? Subtract 10, pipette the difference of hexane, add 10microlitres of hydrocarbon, mix. If you want ten times the volume, multiply everything by 10.

If you need to mix all 5 hydrocarbons into the same stock at 10ul/ml each, use 50ul minus 1ml hexane, then add 10ul of each hydrocarbon, mix.

Overall, you need to check your units, and we don't know if you need to make 5 separate stocks, or 1 stock with all 5.

Offline butters1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
Units aside, say you actually want 10 microlitres per ml. How many microlitres are in 1ml? Subtract 10, pipette the difference of hexane, add 10microlitres of hydrocarbon, mix. If you want ten times the volume, multiply everything by 10.

If you need to mix all 5 hydrocarbons into the same stock at 10ul/ml each, use 50ul minus 1ml hexane, then add 10ul of each hydrocarbon, mix.

Overall, you need to check your units, and we don't know if you need to make 5 separate stocks, or 1 stock with all 5.

Hello sorry for the typo! It was actually suppose to be μg/mL!
And for clarity sake, I have to add all 5 hydrocarbons into one stock.
How would I go about on finding how much volume I need of each hydrocarbon ?

"The instructions are as followed: Prepare a stock solution (10 mL volume in volumetric flask) of alkanes, toluene, etc.  in hexane at a concentration of ~10000 μg/mL; calculate and make not of concentrations (using exact units and not in parts per million)

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
p=m/v

Sponsored Links