April 26, 2024, 02:45:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I determine the charge of an inorganic radical?  (Read 7027 times)

Offline two percent god

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do I determine the charge of an inorganic radical?
« on: August 27, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »
So I've just started my first year of chemistry. We've been given 42 radicals to memorize, so I have decided to just learn the rules behind the nomenclature of radicals, rather than just memorize them and forget them after the test. I've pretty much learned how to name radicals through IUPAC standards, but I can't figure out how to determine the charge.

For example, why do phosphate and phosphite both have the same charge of -3? I can figure out why phosphite has 3 oxygen atems, and why phosphate has 4 oxygen, but why would the charge be -3? Do certain atoms have an inherent charge? If so, then wouldn't the charge be affected by the number of electrons contained in the atom?

One more thing: Why would Bicarbonate have 3 oxygen atoms? the "ate" would generally signify 4 oxygen, correct? Why is it not called Bicarbonite?

Inquiring minds wish to know...

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
Re: How do I determine the charge of an inorganic radical?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:31:32 AM »
For what concerns your last question, the suffix -ate, as well as -ite, has NOTHING to do with the number of atoms of any element: they tell you the oxidation number of the metal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_nomenclature_of_inorganic_chemistry

Offline two percent god

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How do I determine the charge of an inorganic radical?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 06:34:42 PM »
What exactly is an oxidation number? I thought that it was the number of oxygen atoms within an element. If not, then how would I find it?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Oxyanions (polyatomic anions containing oxygen) are named with -ite or -ate, for a lesser or greater quantity of oxygen. For example, NO2? is nitrite, while NO3? is nitrate. If four oxyanions are possible, the prefixes hypo- and per- are used: Hypochlorite is ClO?, Perchlorate is ClO4?,

Going by this explanation, shouldn't Phosphate contain 3 atoms of oxygen? Should it not be named "Perphosphate" instead?

I believe I may be misinterpreting something.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links