March 29, 2024, 10:33:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tips on remembering alkene, alkyne, and radical reactions!!  (Read 1035 times)

Offline jamesbrown11

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tips on remembering alkene, alkyne, and radical reactions!!
« on: November 23, 2019, 07:03:08 AM »
Got an exam coming up in ochem 1 that’s on alkene, alkyne, radical, and alcohol reactions. We’ve got predict the products, predict the reactants, mechanism, and synthesis problems potentially containing all four. Anybody have any tips on keeping everything straight? There’s a lot of reactants to keep straight and even more little details about each reaction that are hard to remember without memorizing and drawing the whole mechanism. Thanks!

Offline shchavel

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Re: Tips on remembering alkene, alkyne, and radical reactions!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
Hello! Try to transform you conspects into diagrams and tables, some list. It's realy useful!

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 04:48:20 PM »
You have to work with the material enough until the pattern recognition comes easily. 

You wil lbe given either Reactants / Reagants and need to predict products; reactants and products and provide reagants, or reagants and products an provide reactants. 

If you work through the material both ways: here is a reactant, what does it do with different reagants?
                                                                 here is a product, how do I get it from different reactants?

You will train yourself to recognize these patterns.

The book by Jakob Fredlos is a great resource - it organizes the material into easily remembered chunks.

Offline anonymous10012

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
I always made flash cards with different colored sharpies. Sometimes just associating a color with something you have to memorize helps. The other answers are very true. If you are new to organic chemistry, memorization is in my opinion the *only tool you have until you have been at it a while.

*The more you work on mechanisms, resonance, and logical concepts, the more your intuition builds. The same is true about work experience that involves synthesis.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
Flash cards with reactants on one side and products on the other side are helpful.  I also like to group reactions as oxidations, reductions, or neither (hydrations, for example).

Sponsored Links