Hi all, when considering a sucrose solution for IV injection, I have heard that it can be toxic. I want to know how toxic it is.
I searched online for toxicity values and mostly get oral toxicity (LC50 of 29.7g/kg in rat). I'm assuming this value is much lower for IV injection due to the lack of digestion prior to entering the bloodstream.
I found a couple statements which say that renal failure is possible, but am finding it hard to find anything regarding IV dose toxicity of sucrose.
Has anyone else heard that sucrose is toxic by IV injection? I would love to find some references or studies which prove this, as well as actual toxicity values.