March 28, 2024, 10:11:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Using Vapor liquid equilibrium versus temperature of solvent mixtures  (Read 1048 times)

Offline gibbw

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello all,

So my issue is that I am attempting to control the molar composition of a gaseous atmosphere above a mixture of two solvents.  The idea is to have a small enclosed space 1 square foot that has a small heating "cup" that I can put a binary mixture of solvents in.  I would control the molar composition of the gas using the initial liquid molar ratio and heat.
So I have two issues:
First, the problem of mixed solvents and deviation from Raoults Law is usually talked about in terms of distillation with one of the solvents are above it's boiling point.  I don't necessarily want to go above the boiling point but would still need to account for the non-ideallity of the mixture.  So am I fundamentally wrong about this, I.E. does the non-ideality only happen in the regime of distillation?  It seems to me that the interactions that govern this still exist under boiling point.  How can I predict the gas molar composition at temperatures below boiling?
Second, I have been looking for resources that have these Temperature-composition plots (such as http://www.ddbst.com/ddb-vle.html), however, obviously these show the point at which one solvent is at or above boiling. Does anyone know of any resources or data bases that have information below b.p.?

I feel that this is a fundamental misunderstanding on my part and most likely conflating two or more ideas.  I just don't know what I am conflating.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Using Vapor liquid equilibrium versus temperature of solvent mixtures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 02:21:48 AM »
We only post a given question once on the forum.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

Topic locked here
See Chemical Engineering entry

Sponsored Links