March 29, 2024, 08:16:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help accurately measuring high volumes of liquid  (Read 1866 times)

Offline cannabistrated

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help accurately measuring high volumes of liquid
« on: December 13, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
Not really sure if this is the right category but it's all foreign to me.

I am scaling up my supplement business and am trying to figure out how to accurately measure large amounts (20 liters to 50+ liters) of Fractionated Coconut Oil.

I figured I would tare a graduated cylinder on a scale, measure out 30ml of the oil once it reached 77F and see how much it weighed. Then take the total amount of ml I need and divide it by 30 and multiply the result by however much the 30ml weighed.

Am I over thinking this? Is there a better way of going about this?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Need help accurately measuring high volumes of liquid
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
A lot depends on how accurately you need to measure the volume. If ±2% is OK just using a known volume bucket will probably do.

In general going the density/mass route is definitely reasonable. Just measure the density (basically that's what you are suggesting, just don't use 30 mL as a unit, nothing wrong with that number other than it makes calculations a bit awkward, 1mL that is part of the density definition is much more convenient). That is, assuming you have reasonably accurate weighing scale capable of weighing in the 50 kg range.

Just don't  try to reinvent the wheel, there are well known methods of determining the density. Yes, in most cases they call for a good balance and something that allows measuring volume with a high accuracy. Graduated cylinder may be good enough for your needs, but it is definitely not the best choice in general. I would try to buy a pycnometer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cannabistrated

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:40:03 AM »
Thanks for the update. I see some digital density readers around the $3000 range which would be best for our situation I think. I feel like each batch of oil will vary slightly even though it is the same product. The one I have in mind is Mettler Toledo 30330857 Densito Handheld Density Meter.

Once I get the density of the object is this the weight in grams per ml? Not trying to sound ignorant on chemistry but we would really like to get an accurate measurement.

We are making 1000-5000 30ml bottles of CBD oil at a time. 94% of the oil is the carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil), 5% is CBD and 1% flavoring. Since we heat and cool it to help dilute the CBD and flavoring the volume constantly changes.

Making this in an efficient procedure is also priority so waiting for a giant bath of oil to reach a desired temperature isn't optimal and most graduated cylinders that I have seen don't go much more than 5L at a time. If I am off 1% in total volume that could be the difference of 10 bottles at 30L and 30ml a bottle. This will also offset the dosage of active ingredients by 10mg for every 1% @ 30L and 30ml a bottle.

Do you have any recommendations for 50kg scales that are accurate for these needs?

I appreciate all the help and if you'd ever like any samples of product I'd definitely be willing to send some for the help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
Once I get the density of the object is this the weight in grams per ml?

Depends on the unit selected, but yes, that's the most common one, at least in the metric countries.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the update. I see some digital density readers around the $3000 range which would be best for our situation I think. I feel like each batch of oil will vary slightly even though it is the same product. The one I have in mind is Mettler Toledo 30330857 Densito Handheld Density Meter.

Once I get the density of the object is this the weight in grams per ml? Not trying to sound ignorant on chemistry but we would really like to get an accurate measurement.

We are making 1000-5000 30ml bottles of CBD oil at a time. 94% of the oil is the carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil), 5% is CBD and 1% flavoring. Since we heat and cool it to help dilute the CBD and flavoring the volume constantly changes.

Making this in an efficient procedure is also priority so waiting for a giant bath of oil to reach a desired temperature isn't optimal and most graduated cylinders that I have seen don't go much more than 5L at a time. If I am off 1% in total volume that could be the difference of 10 bottles at 30L and 30ml a bottle. This will also offset the dosage of active ingredients by 10mg for every 1% @ 30L and 30ml a bottle.

Do you have any recommendations for 50kg scales that are accurate for these needs?

I appreciate all the help and if you'd ever like any samples of product I'd definitely be willing to send some for the help.

If you do not have an unlimited budget, take a look at AC tech scales. Some are accurate down to 0.05oz for a 50lb - 200lb range at $200 or less.
If you have the budget, then get a higher grade scale that has NIST traceable cal cert.
Tools definitely exist to get done what you are describing, but being in a commercial supply business the trickiest part for you would be to determine what certifications and calibration traceability you have to comply with. Sometimes having 2 or 3 tools to get a job done can be cheaper to maintain calibration on than one very fancy tool that does everything for you but can only be calibrated at few labs.

Sponsored Links