April 18, 2024, 09:30:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid-Base Resonance Problem  (Read 1155 times)

Offline jwhalen

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Acid-Base Resonance Problem
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:16:35 AM »
Greetings. I was wondering if someone might be able and willing to help me with a particular problem.

It's from the third chapter of Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: First Semester Topics by David Klein. A little context: the purpose of the question is to identify which hydrogen is more likely to be donated (more acidic), using one of the four factors:
(i) Atom
(ii) Resonance
(iii) Induction
(iv) Orbital

I have ruled out (i) because both protons come from Carbon, and (iv) because they are both sp3 hybridized.

For factor (ii), I drew resonance structures but I can only come up with two for each, so I'm not quite sure if one connjugate base is more stable than the other.

I'm a little uncertain about (iii) because one proton is between two oxygens and the other proton is between an oxygen and a carbon.

The other questions I got wrong I was able to work through and figure out where I went wrong, but I can't figure this one out so I would be incredibly appreciative if someone would be able to help guide me to the answer. Thank you in advance!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Acid-Base Resonance Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »
Can you show us what your resonance structures look like?

Offline jwhalen

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
Can you show us what your resonance structures look like?

Absolutely, but please don't judge.  :-\

The structures on the left pertain to the top carbon's proton (between the two Oxygen bonds), and the structures on the right pertain to the other proton. (FYI: The numbers within the ring are the #hydrogens, just for my own clarity since I'm fairly new at this.)

Since you brought up observing my structures, I just realized that the structure on the left could have another structure that is mirrored (i.e - either breaking the double bond of the left Oxygen or right Oxygen). So therefore the proton attached to the carbon between the two oxygens could have a total of 3 resonance structures, whereas the other option would only have the two that I've drawn. Correct? Horrendously and unforgivably erroneous?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »
There are three resonance structures for the left-hand anion.
EDT
The final paragraph you wrote in the previous response is correct.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:21:24 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline jwhalen

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »
There are three resonance structures for the left-hand anion.

Right, that's what I deduced once you requested seeing my structures, as I outlined above. Herego: more structures = increased stability = more acidic, therefore the left anion is the correct answer.

Thank you very much for your help.  :)

Sponsored Links