April 16, 2024, 04:46:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nitrogen Flushing For Food  (Read 1730 times)

Offline cltrejo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nitrogen Flushing For Food
« on: December 26, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
I'm a little lost here maybe someone can help point me in in the direction of the right thread. Does anyone have advice about nitrogen flushing individual bottles of cold brew coffee to extend shelf life? What kind of tank do you recommend? Do I just clear the headspace or should a probe be placed at the bottle of the drink and allow the nitrogen to rise up and pushing the oxygen out? Is there a standard out there that describes this process? Anything would help.  Thanks

Offline insertwittyname

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Nitrogen Flushing For Food
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 02:02:01 AM »
While I'm not sure if there is a market ready apparatus/procedure for this out there, I would assume that bubbling nitrogen through the bottom and allowing it to push O2 out would be a better method. I say this since N2 is lighter than air, and if you were to flush it from the top, the air trapped in the liquid might not dissipate.Further, short of a continuous stream of N2, how do you plan on stopping the reintroduction of air into your container? Would you be using a vacuuming procedure?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
... I say this since N2 is lighter than air...

Are you sure that this is significant.

From a GOOGLE search
As an example, the average molar mass of dry air is 28.97 g/mol.
You start by writing the formula for nitrogen gas (N2), then you find the molar mass number (it's on the periodic table usually under the symbol for the element). Lastly you multiply that number by however many nitrogens you have (in this case two). You should get 14.007(2) which is 28.014.

Offline cltrejo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »
While I'm not sure if there is a market ready apparatus/procedure for this out there, I would assume that bubbling nitrogen through the bottom and allowing it to push O2 out would be a better method. I say this since N2 is lighter than air, and if you were to flush it from the top, the air trapped in the liquid might not dissipate.Further, short of a continuous stream of N2, how do you plan on stopping the reintroduction of air into your container? Would you be using a vacuuming procedure?

Yes, there is an apparatus, back in my beer brewing days I used a sparger or sparging gun, I believe you can use the same thing in this case however I'm not sure if clearing the headspace would suffice or if the sparger should go all the way to the bottom of the solution.

Sponsored Links