March 28, 2024, 05:24:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Term symbol for s2p3d8  (Read 1315 times)

Offline CrazyBelg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Term symbol for s2p3d8
« on: January 04, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
A lot of my quantum chem exams had a similar question to ‘Give the term symbols for s2 p3 d8.’ I know that I can ignore filled sub shells and I also know how to find the term symbols for p3 and d8. My question is, is there an easy way to go from the term symbols for p3 and d8 apart to the term symbols for both together.
Thanks in advance

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Term symbol for s2p3d8
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:35:31 PM »
The procedure is no different. You have to identify the micro states and their associated angular momentum and spin values, then from that deduce what the term symbols are. The angular momentum and spin values will just be a bit higher because you have two orbitals to worry about
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline CrazyBelg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks for answering so quickly. It just seemed quite a daunting task to write all the micro states , because there are a lot of possibilities. Guess I’ll start practicing.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
Probably more complex than any problem you'll have on a test.  If you use the table/ matrix method though it should take too long.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links