March 28, 2024, 01:15:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can we predict the main product we get after organic reaction?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Hachiko

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Dear everyone,
I am a newbie in the organic synthesis. When I do experiments, I get difficulties to determine and explain why the reaction happens at this position and not happen at other positions on organic reactant, and which is the main product,...
I am trying to have deep understanding about reaction mechanism. I think I have to draw exactly the resonance structure of the reactant,know the electron rich and poor position, understand the reaction mechanism.
Are these I mention above enough and what is the best site to study about these?
Thank you.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: How can we predict the main product we get after organic reaction?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:16:54 AM »
Try this book
https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9780387954684

it doesnt teach you mechanisms of all specific reactions but rather tries to explain the the thought process, making the product prediction easier. Ofc, you need experience and knowledge and both come with time. (And often even if you predict the main product on paper, in reality it can be vastly different.)

Offline Hachiko

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: How can we predict the main product we get after organic reaction?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:09:43 AM »
Try this book
https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9780387954684

it doesnt teach you mechanisms of all specific reactions but rather tries to explain the the thought process, making the product prediction easier. Ofc, you need experience and knowledge and both come with time. (And often even if you predict the main product on paper, in reality it can be vastly different.)
thank you for your sharing.

Sponsored Links