April 18, 2024, 10:07:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Method for looking at blebs  (Read 936 times)

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Method for looking at blebs
« on: January 15, 2020, 12:46:41 PM »
Hi all, might be a hard question. I work with lipid nanoparticles and one of the best ways to look at the morphology of the particles is to do CryoTEM which is very expensive as I don't have my own to run routine analysis.

However, I did look at a couple of my samples and found that some of the particles have blebs or bubbles, probably due to excess phospholipid. I want to get rid of the blebs and I know that exchanging the phospholipid to a different one will help based off literature, and I want to vary the ratio of phospholipid to try and reduce the number of blebs.

I want to do these experiments but I don't have the money to send all the samples off for Cryo TEM. Does anyone know of any other methods I could use to detect blebs without looking at them?

I use a Zetasizer to measure Zavg and polydispersity so I was thinking polydispersity would be a good measure, as the blebs would increase poly, but we do also get a variety of particle sizes on the non bleb particles.

thanks for any input.

Online Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +529/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Method for looking at blebs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
What are they filled with? If you can deliberately fill them with something, there would be a whole lot of methods you could use.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:27:16 PM »
I'm assuming they are filled with water. The centre is a solid amorphous lipid core. I was thinking of maybe a fluorescent dye that is water soluble. The problem is most dyes intercalate with RNA (which is inside the centre). So a fluorescent dye that doesnt bind with RNA but remains in water. Might be hard to find.

Did you have any ideas?

Online Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +529/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
Some ideas:

Water soluble QDs (big, would depend on how big your nanoparticles and these "blebs" are)
Lanthanide ions
Ru(bpy)32+ (water soluble derivative)

Alternatively, you could label with a metal ion and do time-resolved (single particle) ICP-MS
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links