Chemistry Forums for Students > High School Chemistry Forum

Functional Groups in Trisodium Citrate

(1/2) > >>

zenorin:
Could someone indicate the different types of functional groups in trisodium citrate?

hypervalent_iodine:
Can you? You need to show your attempts before we can help.

zenorin:
Well ik that the OH is an alcohol and that there are 3 carbonyl groups, but I'm wondering if there is a specific name for a carbon that is both single and double bonded to an oxygen atom. What I'm ultimately looking for is a polar and non polar functional group. Since this compound is an emulsifier, it should have both a negative and a positive end.

Borek:

--- Quote from: zenorin on January 17, 2020, 07:30:20 PM ---Well ik that the OH is an alcohol and that there are 3 carbonyl groups
--- End quote ---

OK

--- Quote ---I'm wondering if there is a specific name for a carbon that is both single and double bonded to an oxygen atom
--- End quote ---

None that I am aware of.

--- Quote ---What I'm ultimately looking for is a polar and non polar functional group. Since this compound is an emulsifier, it should have both a negative and a positive end.
--- End quote ---

Technically every organic acid is polar.

Fish200398:
for functional group, the OH or hydroxy functional group only there is. and it is polar

overall compound is polar since moment dipole isnt zero.

and each component consisting this whole compound also polar, you can see the distribution of electrons isnt even aka moment dipole isnt zero.

cmiiw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version