April 26, 2024, 06:25:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does amide + alcohol give an ester?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Does amide + alcohol give an ester?
« on: January 21, 2020, 06:45:47 AM »
Hi, I have some doubts about the reaction between an amise and an alcohol

Some textbooks say that there is no reaction because in the tethraedral intermediate  -OR is a better leaving group than -NH2 ...so OR- is the leaving group and the amide is reformed

But other textbooks say that this is an equilibrium and this reaction  can occour anyway

So where is the truth?
Thanks!!

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Does amide + alcohol give an ester?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:12:54 AM »
Under acidic conditions the reaction goes to RCOOR and NH4+
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:28:54 AM by rolnor »

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »

Do you have an example in the literature? I reacall hydrolyzying acetamides in refluxing KOH overnight so its likely needs some harsh conditions but I never heard of this conversions you are describing

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »

Do you have an example in the literature? I reacall hydrolyzying acetamides in refluxing KOH overnight so its likely needs some harsh conditions but I never heard of this conversions you are describing

No, I dont but I have boiled amides in conc. HCl and you get the acid. If you have conc H2SO4 im MeOH you will get the ester I think.

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
I'd guess it's a difficult reaction in practice, but I've read that you can do the conversion in acid because there is a driving force to remove the amine/ammonia from the equilibrium by protonation.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 01:37:04 AM »

No, I dont but I have boiled amides in conc. HCl and you get the acid. If you have conc H2SO4 im MeOH you will get the ester I think.

I wouldnt be surprised if I got some diethylether or methlytation products instead of the ester.

I'd guess it's a difficult reaction in practice, but I've read that you can do the conversion in acid because there is a driving force to remove the amine/ammonia from the equilibrium by protonation.
Yeah, I think its gonna be hard to force the addition to the carbonyl.  I know you can to it when its tertiary amide with strong EWG group like tosyl or boc which kinda reduces the conjugation of the lone pair but otherwise not easy

Sponsored Links