March 28, 2024, 03:28:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about dissolving Ammonia  (Read 1082 times)

Offline catisioo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about dissolving Ammonia
« on: January 22, 2020, 02:53:26 AM »
This is a question from my countrys chemistry olympiad which I can't figure out. I have the correct answer but there are no explanations on how to get them. The question goes like this:

"A flask, which is filled up with ammonia, is filled with water so that all the ammonia dissolves. What is the mass concentration (%) of the solution? What is the molar concentration of the solution?"

The correct answer is 0.076 for the mass concentration and 0.045 for the molar concentration. If there was a solubility curve or some data to work with, this would be easy but there is none. I am confused. How is it possible to know this?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Question about dissolving Ammonia
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 03:03:24 AM »
all the ammonia dissolves

Do you need solubility if you are told everything dissolved?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Question about dissolving Ammonia
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 04:16:49 AM »
Assume that you have a 1L bottle filled with ammonia under STP. Then pour 1 L of water into it. The solubility of ammonia in water is very high (700 L of NH3 / 1L water). Calculating the percentage and molar concentration is already very easy (the solution will be so diluted that you do not have to worry about the density of the solution).
AWK

Sponsored Links