April 16, 2024, 08:39:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alternative eluents for Silica Gel Column Chromatography?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline topenator

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Alternative eluents for Silica Gel Column Chromatography?
« on: January 28, 2020, 06:08:58 AM »
I have a yam tuber sample which I freeze-dried and macerated with 95% ethanol, then concentrating it using a rotary evaporator and dissolving in 5% acetic acid. I got an acid supernatant which I filtered and made alkaline by using ammonium hydroxide then extracting it with DCM using a separatory funnel. I used the rotary evaporator again by using the combined DCM extract and used a small amount of absolute ethanol. Then I used a saturated picric acid in water and it formed a yellow picrate. I made it alkaline again by using ammonium hydroxide followed by extraction with DCM. My question is, I was supposed to use acetone: water: ammonia (90:7:10) as eluent for my silica gel column chromatography to further purify my desired alkaloid (Dioscorin) but I can't for a bunch of reasons. What alternative eluents can i use?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
Re: Alternative eluents for Silica Gel Column Chromatography?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
Do  you mean discorine?  What is your intended purpose?

Offline topenator

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:48:52 PM »
I want to purify my sample extract by performing a silica gel column chromatography, but the eluents (acetone and ammonia) I was supposed to use cannot be acquired for reasons. What alternative eluent in CC can I use to further purify the alkaloid?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:01 AM »
This is weird. You have a rotovap, DCM, picric acid, and a column but you can't get acetone and ammonia? Those are some of the easiest chemicals to acquire for anyone, let alone someone doing formal science.

And you're purifying a toxin. Explain yourself please.

Offline topenator

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
I'm an undergraduate student, acetone & ammonia can't be purchased freely in my country. I'm just finding solutions and alternative chemicals to use in my column chromatography to further purify my toxin (which I will extract) to test its antimicrobial activities..

Sponsored Links