March 29, 2024, 04:00:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Precipitation question  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Lenoon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Precipitation question
« on: January 28, 2020, 03:00:59 PM »
“To recrystallise a chemical a scientist adds it to 250g of water. 42.2% of it’s mass makes up the saturated solution at 80degrees. It is cooled to 20degrees where there’s an 11.1% of the chemical mass in solution. What is the mass of the precipitate of the chemical produced when this chemical is cooled from 80 to 20 degrees”

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Precipitation question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 03:09:32 PM »
It is a forum rule that you must show your attempt before we can help you.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:09:42 PM »
What do you think? There are two stages to the calculation.

Offline Lenoon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
It is a forum rule that you must show your attempt before we can help you.
I just calculated the of the mass at 80 and 20 and then subtracted the results (105 and 27) and got 77 approximately  and the answer is wrong I have no idea how to attempt it now

Offline Lenoon

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
What do you think? There are two stages to the calculation.
I have no clue man

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 04:13:30 PM »
Its not very clear, but the first part of the question may be assuming that you filter the excess solid after making the saturated solution at 80C. Which means there would be no solid in the solution when cooling commences. So the 11.1% may be referring to the percentage of dissolved solute after filtration. Can you think of what it might be now?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
Is this the exact wording of the problem? There's a lot of ambiguity.

I read it as, if the scientist starts with X g of material, 42.2% of X is in solution (with 250 g water) at 80 C and 11.1% of X is in solution (250 g water) at 20 C. From this you can deduce the fraction of material that's in the precipitate at each temperature, and therefore the difference. But this would be in terms of X. To get an absolute number you'd need either X or the solubility of X at either temperature (since you're given the amount of water).

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Lenoon

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 06:26:40 PM »
Its not very clear, but the first part of the question may be assuming that you filter the excess solid after making the saturated solution at 80C. Which means there would be no solid in the solution when cooling commences. So the 11.1% may be referring to the percentage of dissolved solute after filtration. Can you think of what it might be now?
I’m not sure because would I just do 11.1% or 250g??

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 03:30:12 AM »
You are told the final saturated solution contains 11.1% of the substance and mass of water is 250 g. It means the solution contains 250 g of water AND some amount of the substance. Lets say its mass is msubstance. So the total mass of the solution is 250+msubstance and (from the very definition of the mass percentage)

[tex]\frac{m_{substance}}{250 + m_{substance}}\times 100 \% = 11.1\%[/tex]

Can you now calculate mass of the substance left in the solution after precipitation? Before precipitation?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links