Chemistry Forums for Students > Physical Chemistry Forum

Ksp of CaSO4

(1/5) > >>

BHAVESH:
Hi Everyone,
I found an equation from Google about Ksp of CaSO4 which is as follows

Ksp CaSO4  = 10^[1/(-0.0222XLog(Ionic Strength of Water)+2.2954)2-0.2478]

I just wanted to know how these numeric figures have been derived in above equation.

Thanks....

mjc123:
Did it give a reference? Can you look up that reference?

Corribus:
Just by eye it looks like a empirical equation, determined by fitting to a series of experimental data points. If that's the case, the terms and coefficients probably don't have any specific scientific meaning.

BHAVESH:
They have just mentioned - (Dupont 1992)
They have mentioned - The solubility products for sparingly soluble salts are based on expressions derived from published data on solubility as a function of the ionic strength of the solution at a given temperature. The equation for calculating Ksp for CaSO4 at 25 Degree C.
And when I checked in Dupont document for Ksp, they have given a graph, it seems it must have been derived from that.

So, still the question remains is that how to calculate Ksp of CaSO4, BaSO4, SrSO4 at any given temp.? - Can I apply Van't Hoff equation here as well???

Corribus:

--- Quote from: BHAVESH on January 31, 2020, 02:58:34 AM ---So, still the question remains is that how to calculate Ksp of CaSO4, BaSO4, SrSO4 at any given temp.? - Can I apply Van't Hoff equation here as well???

--- End quote ---
Sure... bearing in mind sources of error.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version