April 24, 2024, 03:16:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis help for mechanism  (Read 1142 times)

Offline sj3107

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis help for mechanism
« on: January 30, 2020, 05:44:00 AM »
I am trying to workout the mechanism to produce the circled compound. The diketone on the right is necessary but I am unsure about the nucleophile that I have proposed. I have drawn what I think it may be in red underneath the compound that I am trying to synthesise. Would anyone be able to help check my chemistry - am I using the correct nucleophile?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Synthesis help for mechanism
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
I am worried that the p-nitro group makes the aniline a very weak nuchleophile, that could be a problem. Maybe it can be solved by heating the reaction mixture?

Offline sj3107

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 07:27:13 AM »
I am worried that the p-nitro group makes the aniline a very weak nuchleophile, that could be a problem. Maybe it can be solved by heating the reaction mixture?

Yes good idea, do you think it is the correct nucleophile for the reaction other than potential reaction barriers?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
I would think so, have you made a litterature search? The product would be sensitive to oxidation, or what do you think? It want to aromatizise?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:53:26 AM »
Rolnor, I think this is "on paper" chemistry, and the precise reactivity of the aniline is not an issue.

Now if its in a flask... I'm with you, some extra trickery could be involved. Or as my highly experienced synthesis coworker once said  "sometimes you just have to f&#^$*@ heat the f&#^$*@ s#*$ out of it."

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
Rolnor, I think this is "on paper" chemistry, and the precise reactivity of the aniline is not an issue.

Now if its in a flask... I'm with you, some extra trickery could be involved. Or as my highly experienced synthesis coworker once said  "sometimes you just have to f&#^$*@ heat the f&#^$*@ s#*$ out of it."

OK, I see. I think one should take only use published chemistry for this type of exersise othervise the student dont learn correctly?

Sponsored Links