April 28, 2024, 02:22:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alka-Seltzer Dissolving  (Read 1203 times)

Offline e5times

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Alka-Seltzer Dissolving
« on: January 30, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »
"Calculate the overall rate of citric acid dissolving (in grams per minute) if the reaction is:

C6H8O7 + 3NaHCO3 -> 3H2O + 3CO2 + NaC6H5O7"

and

"How long would it take for 25 grams of NaHCO3 to dissolve?"

The rate of the Alka-Seltzer dissolving is 0.75g/min. I don't even know where to begin with these questions, if someone could at least guide me with how I am meant to find the grams of the citric acid and sodium bicarbonate? I know the jist of the second question I just need to find the initial rate.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Alka-Seltzer Dissolving
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:47:13 AM »
Not enough information to tackle the problem IMHO.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline e5times

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 05:30:44 PM »
Not enough information to tackle the problem IMHO.

Is it my explanation? What further information can I give?

I have tried dividing the 0.75g of the g/mol of the Alka-Seltzer (citric acid and sodium bicarbonate) which is 276.0g/mol(?). After that, I'm unsure what to do to find specifically the amount of the individual components.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »
I have tried dividing the 0.75g of the g/mol of the Alka-Seltzer (citric acid and sodium bicarbonate) which is 276.0g/mol(?).
Well for starters this sentence doesn't make sense. Moreover, Alka-Seltzer is a complex mixture of unspecified formulation, so it doesn't have a molecular weight. You are given a rate of some kind for Alka-Seltzer "dissolving", but you don't know the composition of Alka-Seltzer, and in any case the rate isn't really defined. Different components in Alka-Seltzer likely dissolve at different rates. Finally, the question gives some confusing and ambiguous meaning of the word "dissolve". Does the question mean "reacts according to the given chemical equation" or does it mean dissolve in the strict chemical sense?

Is this the exact wording of the entire question? Because as it's given here it really makes very little sense.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline e5times

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »
Is this the exact wording of the entire question? Because as it's given here it really makes very little sense.

Yes, we were given no further instruction or information but what I have provided. My teacher (yes I asked) was hardly any help either. I may just write something down and hand it in lol.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »
Tell your teacher I said that he or she should in the future give you questions that are possible to answer. ;)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links