April 18, 2024, 02:30:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is it possible to switch between physics and chemistry at the master level?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline user3141592

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have a bachelor in physics and would like to pursue a master in chemistry. Do you think the host university would accept me easily. I am thinking that it is perhaps better for me to switch at the PhD level, doing research on a field related to chemistry such as theoretical chemistry.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
This is a question for University authorities.
Changing your scientific interests, you need to put a lot of your own work into learning new knowledge. Do you think you can handle it?
Amedeo Avogadro was a doctor of canon law - and how much he did in chemistry and physics. During his studies, August Kekule changed interests from architecture to chemistry and did a lot in this field.
As you can see, some have succeeded.
AWK

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +529/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
I have a bachelor in physics and would like to pursue a master in chemistry. Do you think the host university would accept me easily.
Yes, particularly if you have coursework history in chemistry and (if relevant) standardized test scores in chemistry. Just make sure your application to the program clarifies your interest and how your background is an advantage, not a handicap.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline metallurgy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
This is a question for University authorities.
Changing your scientific interests, you need to put a lot of your own work into learning new knowledge. Do you think you can handle it?
Amedeo Avogadro was a doctor of canon law - and how much he did in chemistry and physics. During his studies, August Kekule changed interests from architecture to chemistry and did a lot in this field.
As you can see, some have succeeded.

He is talking about switching between physical sciences which are in related field, avogadro was in social sciences and he did in physical sciences later on. I myself switched from chemistry to metallurgy&materials at phd level.

Sponsored Links