April 19, 2024, 02:42:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Saftey Precautions: Soxhlet Extraction using Ethanol  (Read 831 times)

Offline Mr. Deeds

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Saftey Precautions: Soxhlet Extraction using Ethanol
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »
Hell Everybody!

This is my first post here but am excited to be here. I am pretty sure my question(s) can get answered.

So I am planning on using ethanol for an extraction and had a few questions regarding the saftey measures to take. Mainly the use of a fume hood during the process.

I dont think a fume hood is completely necessary but I wanted to ask some people more knowledgeable than me.

Also, I had a question about the heating mantle being used. I have a 220V Temperature-Regulated heating mantle that I was told could be plugged into an 110V outlet via an adapter that I have. The problem with the heating mantle is that the meter is measuring voltage and not temperature.
It is not the best mantle obviously but I am wondering if anybody could offer some ideas about how to gauge and control the temp considering the mantle itself is supposed to do that without a thermocouple and no need for a variac.

I have plugged it in and used it to bake put the grease on it and there were no issues so I'm pretty confident in its ability to work with the adapter for the wall outlet.

Many thanks in advance,
Mr. Deeds

P.S. I can send a photo of the mantle to somebody if they want to take a look at it

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Saftey Precautions: Soxhlet Extraction using Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:35:17 AM »
Always better to do thing under hood, just in case. Yes, quite often it doesn't matter much, but when dealing with flammables it is much easier to contain the fire under the hood which you can close than on an open desk.

Using mantle without thermostat is perfectly doable, after all, that was how the organic chemists worked mostly not long ago. Requires a bit of tinkering to set up power correctly.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Mr. Deeds

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Saftey Precautions: Soxhlet Extraction using Ethanol
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
Thank you. Also, I am using a Graham condenser on the soxhlet instead of an Allihn and wanted to know if there was any advice that could be given on how to reduce the chances of flooding/clogging the condenser.
The narrow spiral chamber is not ideal compared to the large surface area of the bulbs in the Allihn but I have to work with what I have.

Sponsored Links