April 16, 2024, 01:35:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How Does DDT react?  (Read 827 times)

Offline iHateFindingSources

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How Does DDT react?
« on: February 04, 2020, 08:05:13 PM »
I'm new to this thread, but I'll get straight to the point. I am currently writing an essay about the human made molecule DDT (google it, very long name) and one of the aspects to include is how the molecule reacts, ''what it does'' to combat malaria, I need to explain (in my own words) how the molecule kills the insects vectors of malaria as well as other diseases. I have tried to find sources, but am unable to find a source that really goes into detail. If anyone could please answer my question or provide accurate, reputable sources, THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. 

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How Does DDT react?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:46:25 PM »
One of the primary challenges to science writing is doing the research necessary to write what you need to write. This is a learned skill, and it is doing you no favors for us to just do your work for you. This is also, by the way, a forum policy. You say you looked for sources, but did not say where or how.

I'm pretty sure nobody here has oodles of literature on DDT or other organochlorine pesticides at their fingertips, unless they happen to be doing research in this exact area. Most of us would start where you should start: googling DDT and going from there. In the wikipedia article, which is pretty detailed, you quickly learn that DDT belongs to a class of pesticides called organochlorines. If you google "organochlorine pesticide", the first few hits include a review article or two that go into more detail on the toxic effects of organochlorine pesticides on living creatures than you could want (at the high school level, anyway).
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline iHateFindingSources

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 04:27:32 PM »
Alright, thanks for the insight.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 06:05:01 PM »
I sometimes use PubMed, which is a search engine for the the peer-reviewed, biomedically-related scientific literature.  For a large topic I might limit my search to review articles only and I might limit myself to only those articles which are free.  This generates a good list of articles, but I am not sure how many of them are pitched at the right level for you.

Sponsored Links