March 28, 2024, 11:14:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Epinephrine effect on glycolysis  (Read 1480 times)

Offline ElistonCole

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Epinephrine effect on glycolysis
« on: February 05, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
I know that it should enhance glycolysis but dont know how it works? Just like glucagon it activates PKA and with glucagon PKA would phosphorylate pfk2 to inactive it and activate fbpase2. This would result in f2,6bisphosphate levels decreasing. Its an allosteric activator of pfk1 so reducing it would slow down glycolysis. Why is it that epinephrine would have the opposite effect it also activates the pka cascade? Glucagon would also act on pyruvate kinase liver isozyme. Also as a side question does epinephrine increase the calcium levels of the cytosol? My notes also say that calcium would increase glycolysis speed I can see how it works with muscle contraction it makes sense. But no idea how as again calcium would activate calmodulin kinase and phosphorylate things

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Epinephrine effect on glycolysis
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
In heart muscle phosphorylation of of PFK-2/FBPase-2 has the opposite effect as phosphorylation does in the liver.  Skeletal muscle PFK-2/FBPase-2 is not regulated in this manner, from what I recall.

Offline ElistonCole

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 01:16:53 AM »
I know that it should enhance glycolysis but dont know how it works? Just like glucagon it activates PKA and with glucagon PKA would phosphorylate pfk2 to inactive it and activate fbpase2. This would result in f2,6bisphosphate levels decreasing. reverse phone lookupnba redditpcpartpicker Its an allosteric activator of pfk1 so reducing it would slow down glycolysis. Why is it that epinephrine would have the opposite effect it also activates the pka cascade? Glucagon would also act on pyruvate kinase liver isozyme. Also as a side question does epinephrine increase the calcium levels of the cytosol? My notes also say that calcium would increase glycolysis speed I can see how it works with muscle contraction it makes sense. But no idea how as again calcium would activate calmodulin kinase and phosphorylate things
thankyou my issue has been solved

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
Would you care to elaborate?

Sponsored Links