March 29, 2024, 11:11:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Steve Irwin  (Read 9863 times)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Steve Irwin
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:33:20 AM »
Well the Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin, was killed today by a stingray in Queensland.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Steve Irwin
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:57:16 AM »
Sad, I liked his passion.

At the same time I can't stop thinking that he was asking for troubles - like most I have seen his films on The Discovery Channel and I was often asking myself - how long will he be lucky? He looked like ADHD child - no risk assesment, only action, action, action...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 06:42:11 AM »
Yea,  it's a great shame  -  I really liked the bloke.   His film about the 10 most deadly snakes was amazing!         Sad, but not quite so supprised really.     :-\

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 11:36:18 AM »
One of my online friends told me a little while ago... It's a great shame, because that guy was one of my childhood heroes.  I learned practically everything about handling and finding animals safely from him, and he was one of my greatest influences...  this is truly a great loss for me  :'(

RIP:Steve Irwin
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline david

• Chem Crony
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +10/-2
  • Chemophobic
    • qersys
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »
At the same time I can't stop thinking that he was asking for troubles - like most I have seen his films on The Discovery Channel and I was often asking myself - how long will he be lucky? He looked like ADHD child - no risk assesment, only action, action, action...

I am of the same mind. It said he was only swimming over the ray when it struck but I find it very likely that he was handling the darn thing. Stingrays will usually only strike when you step on one, hence most wounds are inflicted on the foot or leg. He was hit in the chest.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 10:51:56 PM »
I agree with you Borek and david.

Yea it's a sad thing he died. I used to watch his shows when I was younger. I guess it was the stingray's barb that killed him by going right into his heart.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Contusion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:30:06 AM »
I actually live in Queensland (the state where Steve Irwin lived and died) and I visited his zoo a couple of years ago. It's a shame that he died as he really did help toward the conservation of marine animals. I come from England so I can't really relate to all the Australians talking about losing such an icon.

Apparently, according to the footage of the incident, he was swimming over the top of the stingray - the tail swung up and struck him in the chest. He then pulled the barb out of his heart and fell unconscious. Perhaps stingray's attack when they feel as though they are cornered and trapped not just when being handled?   ???

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 03:01:06 AM »
From what I have heard on the news it sounds like Steve Irwin was really unlucky to have suffered such a fatal wound from a stingray. Although apparently not the first time this has happened (there have been two other deaths under similar circumstances) it is extremely unlikely.

Maybe he has become a martyr for conservation. There certainly seems to be a huge interest in his death from around the world (or at least from Australia, UK and US). Hopefully all of this interest results in more donations to his causes and more interest. I feel a bit sorry for all of the children that looked up to him.

Offline cuongt

• Mole Snacks: +15/-22
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 06:48:00 AM »
very sad today tonight and current affairs are talking a lot about him. there are shows on channel 7 and 9 dedicated to him. i heard on the radio people were going to suggest to have a national holiday for steve irwin. he is sooo passionate. his litlle girl bindy dont even know if i spelt it right, is probably taking over her fathers place. but he died wat he loved doing though. RIP.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:03:24 PM »
It was amazing how quickly the news of Steve Irwin's death seemd to infiltrate the web. Wikipedia seemd to be updated almost instantly with information about his death. Along with Terri Irwin's wikipedia entry in which people wasted no time in changing her bio to read "widow" rather than "wife", seriously, is there any need for this to happen so quickly? I suppose this is a new age of information, real time encyclopedias!

What do people think of Germaine Greer's thoughts on Irwin's passing. I think she should keep her thoughts to herself. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I presume she has come out of the woodwork in a desperate attempt at renewing her fame by being deliberately inflammatory. I think she is wrong! Australians are not "idiots" and Steve Irwin obviously did a lot for conservation. She should get back in her box.

Sponsored Links