March 28, 2024, 09:00:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical synthesis of a peptide  (Read 2976 times)

Offline jestquim

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical synthesis of a peptide
« on: February 06, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
I'd like to know how the next peptide could be prepared in a laboratory.

In several books, I've read that there are different ways to synthesize peptides: solution synthesis, solid phase synthesis, among others. But, when it comes to implementing one of the methods, I am not able. I hope you can help me.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Chemical synthesis of a peptide
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »
What have you found, so far?

Offline jestquim

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 02:18:49 PM »
What have you found, so far?

So, for example, to form the Leu-Ala di-peptide, I would have to protect the Leu amino group and the alanine acid group. For example, it can be protected with benzyl chloroformate.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
Wikipedia - peptide synthesis is a good start to this very comprehensive topic. Think about protecting the amino group of one amino acid and the carboxyl group of the other, and the coupling reagent.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3564544/
AWK

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
You can buy t-Butylesters of these amino acids with CBz-protected sidechain but they are not cheap I think. Final step would be hydrogenation. Its fun to work with solid phase but not neccesary in this case. Can you suggest in what end of the peptide you should start?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:17:22 AM »
You can buy t-Butylesters of these amino acids with CBz-protected sidechain but they are not cheap I think. Final step would be hydrogenation. Its fun to work with solid phase but not neccesary in this case. Can you suggest in what end of the peptide you should start?

While its not necessary, I would highly recommend. I tried making some dipeptides and it was pain.

Offline jestquim

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 05:17:33 AM »

After reading it, I am still not able to make a synthesis of this peptide.

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 01:41:56 PM »

While its not necessary, I would highly recommend. I tried making some dipeptides and it was pain.

i kew someone who used solid phase for  the synthesis of a simple dipeptide, it's much easier.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 03:54:46 PM »

You need to explain the thoughts you have, how would you start this synthesis, what startingmaterial would you use?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »
SPPS solid phase peptide synthesis using resins are the solution to this job.

Offline jestquim

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 02:53:07 PM »

You need to explain the thoughts you have, how would you start this synthesis, what startingmaterial would you use?

I think that the best way is:
1. Protect the amino group of the amino acid leucine with the Fmoc group
2. Join the carbonyl end of the amino acid Leu to a reactive group of a resin.
3. Remove the protective group by treatment with a solution containing a weak organic base.
4. Protect the valine amino group with Fmoc. The amino acid is activated in its carboxyl group by DCC.
5. The amino group of leucine attacks the activated carboxyl group of valine to form a peptide bond.
6. We unprotect the Leu-Val di-peptide as in step 2. We add HF to hydrolyze the ester bond between the resin and the di-peptide.
7. Once we have the Leu-Val di-peptide, we protect the amino end with the Fmoc group, and proceed as before.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 01:42:49 AM »

I think that the best way is:
1. Protect the amino group of the amino acid leucine with the Fmoc group
2. Join the carbonyl end of the amino acid Leu to a reactive group of a resin.
3. Remove the protective group by treatment with a solution containing a weak organic base.
4. Protect the valine amino group with Fmoc. The amino acid is activated in its carboxyl group by DCC.
5. The amino group of leucine attacks the activated carboxyl group of valine to form a peptide bond.
6. We unprotect the Leu-Val di-peptide as in step 2. We add HF to hydrolyze the ester bond between the resin and the di-peptide.
7. Once we have the Leu-Val di-peptide, we protect the amino end with the Fmoc group, and proceed as before.

You are wasting time, you can buy fmoc-AAs commercialy for cheap money. While your idea might work its way too inefficient for this job:
a) you dont have to cleave the peptide from the resin only to attach it again
b) you will get even lower yields than normally
c) working with HF is not needed.

In SPS usually, the aminoacids are immobilized as esters to the resin and the you deprotect-acylate and repeate untill you get the peptide. You can start by immobilizing at N-terminus or even by side chain but its far less common.

Here is what I would do:

1) connect the fmoc-phenylalanine to wang resin using some set of obvious conditions (look it up, I think its DIC+dmap but im not 100%).
2) analyze the loading of the resin via cleaving the fmoc-AA from the resin and doing quantification
3) de-Fmoc with (20%) piperidine in DCM, should be super fast
4) make the peptide bond using another set of obvious conditions (DIC+HOBt or any other you wish)
5) repeat 3+4
6) cleave the peptide from resin using TFA:DCM cocktail and purify by HPLC

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 05:24:57 PM »
If you dont have experience with solid phase peptide sunthesis I strongly suggest you make a litt. Search in scifinder, there is probably very similar or even exact peptides made, you will save a lot of time and money.

Offline pengwei

• Very New Member
  • A team focus on peptide synthesis & impurities
    • Custom Peptide Synthesis - Omizzur Ltd
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 08:49:16 PM »
At present, solid-phase peptide synthesis is the mainstream method, and occasionally liquid phase is also used in fragment synthesis, which depends on the cost in industrial use
Omizzur Peptide Synthesis Manager, engaged in custom peptide synthesis & impurities. Hot peptides include exenatide, salmon Calcitonin, octreotide, semaglutide, and fmoc amino acids etc.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »
Its probably a lit. procedure available, make a structure search on Scifinder. Its not hard to do this compound, but with no experience you would have great use of a procedure thats published. Reaction time, temp etc.

Sponsored Links