March 28, 2024, 07:24:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is there a way to isolate aliphatic amines from aromatic and heterocyclic amines  (Read 1371 times)

Offline dulg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I know that the key distinction between the two (three) are their structures, and that they are classified by their structures, but I am wondering if there is a way to isolate the two using solvents. I am not an expert in this field, and would love to get some help.

I know that asking for a magic solvent to solve all of my problems is a very naive, so please forgive me for asking this.

Many Thanks,
dulg

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
You might be able to use acid-base properties.  Most aliphatic amines are much more basic than aromatic amines. 

So at a pH of say 8-9, the aromatic amines will not be protonated and will go into an organic solvent, the aliphatics will still be protonated and will dissolve in water

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Hollytara, thats an oversimplification... some percentage of each amine will be protonated at an intermediate pH, but the ratios will change with pH. If the pKbs are 3 units apart then perhaps you could do this with minimal crossover. I think separating a mixture this way would be pretty hard. Have you ever tried it?

Distillation strikes me as a better way to do it depending on the exact amines.

Sponsored Links