March 29, 2024, 06:43:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculate the equilibrium concentration of CO2 in beer  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Calculate the equilibrium concentration of CO2 in beer
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »
Gas solubility depends on hydrostatic pressure:

Perhaps I am missing something, but it sounds to me like another way of saying "Henry's law is only an approximation" (which is quite normal, every chemical/physical law I can think of that states linear proportionality fails at some point). Still, interesting find, thank you.

So I think this qualifies as one of the 'highly exotic cases' that you mention.

I was actually thinking about isotope separation in gravitational field (very tall columns, very low temperatures), but I was at the same time sure there are other cases that will fit.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
Thanks for that reference @Corribus. In the light of above discussions, it is interesting to read the paragraph beginning "It has been implied occasionally..." regarding the difference between solubility and critical concentration for bubble formation.

Offline MNIO

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 08:32:06 PM »
You can't have both equilibrium and concentration gradient at the same time (at least as long as we don't talk about some highly exotic cases).

not true.  equilibrium means concentration doesn't change over time.  It does NOT mean uniform concentration.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
You can't have both equilibrium and concentration gradient at the same time (at least as long as we don't talk about some highly exotic cases).

not true.  equilibrium means concentration doesn't change over time.  It does NOT mean uniform concentration.

What about diffusion? Under usual conditions, other actions don't prevent it.

Sponsored Links