March 29, 2024, 04:53:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How come polyprotic acids are less dissolved at lower pH values?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline smoky

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How come polyprotic acids are less dissolved at lower pH values?
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »
It seemed to me the more a polyprotic acid dissolved, the higher the amount of H+ ions would be in the solution, and therefore the pH value would be lower. However, in my textbook it looks like it's saying otherwise.

It shows the fractions of the species (undissolved acid, partially dissolved, and completely dissolved) as a function of pH, with the lowest pH values having the highest amounts of undissolved. What's going on here? Does it have something to do with the addition of another substance that contains common ions?

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How come polyprotic acids are less dissolved at lower pH values?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:00 AM »
It seemed to me the more a polyprotic acid dissolved, the higher the amount of H+ ions would be in the solution, and therefore the pH value would be lower.

I guess you mean dissociated, not dissolved. If so - that's how it is.

However, in my textbook it looks like it's saying otherwise.

Nope :)

It shows the fractions of the species (undissolved acid, partially dissolved, and completely dissolved) as a function of pH, with the lowest pH values having the highest amounts of undissolved.

Quite correctly.

There is no contradiction here - increase in the acid concentration makes up for the decreasing fraction of the dissociated acid, so the concentration of H+ still grows (and pH goes down). Yes, it can be to some extent explained in terms of Le Chatelier's principle.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline smoky

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How come polyprotic acids are less dissolved at lower pH values?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 04:32:22 PM »
It seemed to me the more a polyprotic acid dissolved, the higher the amount of H+ ions would be in the solution, and therefore the pH value would be lower.

I guess you mean dissociated, not dissolved. If so - that's how it is.

However, in my textbook it looks like it's saying otherwise.

Nope :)

It shows the fractions of the species (undissolved acid, partially dissolved, and completely dissolved) as a function of pH, with the lowest pH values having the highest amounts of undissolved.

Quite correctly.

There is no contradiction here - increase in the acid concentration makes up for the decreasing fraction of the dissociated acid, so the concentration of H+ still grows (and pH goes down). Yes, it can be to some extent explained in terms of Le Chatelier's principle.

Alright thanks, got it now!

Sponsored Links