April 24, 2024, 06:28:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Recrystallization Solvent  (Read 1356 times)

Offline levis123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Recrystallization Solvent
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »
What to recrystallize methyl 3,5-dibromobenzoate from?

Literature says ethanol but it doesn't work. Compound precipitates and does not crystallize.

Melting point is 63 C.

I have also tried DCM, or DCM/hexane and the same thing happens.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Recrystallization Solvent
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
No-one ever tries water. If its precipitating the cooling or evaporation is too rapid. You need to control the conditions more. Add a solvent where the solubility of the compound is higher, and cool slower.

I discovered 4 new cocrystals, all polymorphs of each other by using water as the solvent.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
Lit "ethanol" is a tricky beast. Ethanol often is 5% water. Did they mean wet ethanol? Is it reagent ethanol that has water, methanol, MEK, etc in it? Or do they mean anhydrous absolute ethanol?

These factors can have a surprisingly large effect.

Also jeff is right about trying to slow down the temperature slope as a good tactic. n-propanol is a similar but higher boiling solvent.

Also, I try water! Eventually. One time I was struggling to purify with this cyclic phosphate ester that I had turned into an alkyne for like a month. Column not an option. Eventually I recrystallized from boiling water. Beautiful crystals in hours. Dead pure. Nearly cried.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:29:33 PM by wildfyr »

Offline levis123

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »
No-one ever tries water. If its precipitating the cooling or evaporation is too rapid. You need to control the conditions more. Add a solvent where the solubility of the compound is higher, and cool slower.

I discovered 4 new cocrystals, all polymorphs of each other by using water as the solvent.

Ok, thanks! I'll try water as well.

Offline levis123

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »
Lit "ethanol" is a tricky beast. Ethanol often is 5% water. Did they mean wet ethanol? Is it reagent ethanol that has water, methanol, MEK, etc in it? Or do they mean anhydrous absolute ethanol?

These factors can have a surprisingly large effect.

Also jeff is right about trying to slow down the temperature slope as a good tactic. n-propanol is a similar but higher boiling solvent.

Also, I try water! Eventually. One time I was struggling to purify with this cyclic phosphate ester that I had turned into an alkyne for like a month. Column not an option. Eventually I recrystallized from boiling water. Beautiful crystals in hours. Dead pure. Nearly cried.

Paper is from 1895 and I can't access it online, but reaxys says "ethanol" in the solvent column for melting point - so I really don't know. I will definitely try water.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
Not sure why you'd need melting point.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »
If you have access to scifinder its been made hundreds of times in the modern literature. I see columns being used (DCM/hexane). Cculdn't find a recrystallization quickly but its a good place to look.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 05:10:40 PM »

Paper is from 1895 and I can't access it online, but reaxys says "ethanol" in the solvent column for melting point - so I really don't know. I will definitely try water.

Esters with such a low melting point are difficult to crystallize. Try extraction with CH2Cl2, purify extract with Na2CO3 and after drying the extract evaporate the solvent. Maybe you can get crystals after partial evaporation and freezing.
AWK

Sponsored Links