March 28, 2024, 08:06:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Microwaving Formaldehyde  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Illicitsubstancesarebad

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Microwaving Formaldehyde
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
Earlier today I had the amazing idea to microwave a brain soaked in formaldehyde (it was a small piece of sheep brain). It only dawned on me after the fact, that putting a carcinogen somewhere that food goes probably isn't the best idea. I followed proper procedure to clean up the formaldehyde, but I am wondering if I should take any further steps, or if the microwave can still be used.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Microwaving Formaldehyde
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »
I followed proper procedure to clean up the formaldehyde, but I am wondering if I should take any further steps, or if the microwave can still be used.
I'm not sure there IS a proper procedure to clean a microwave exposed to formaldehyde. I'd clean with soap and water, of course, but I'd also consider using a household solvent like isopropanol or ethanol (er... Gray Goose?) first. Then let it air out with the door open and unplugged over night.

More than the contact exposure, heating formaldehyde in an uncontrolled environment is not a good idea because it's quite volatile. The danger of inhalation exposure during your "experiment" may exceed anything you'd get by contact or ingestion after the fact.

Obviously, this post does not constitute any medical advice. If you are truly concerned, throw the microwave out and get a new one.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Microwaving Formaldehyde
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:20:12 PM »
We have a microwave we committed to chemistry and never again will be used for food. Prudent don't you think. We are only out a hundred dollars or so.

Sponsored Links