March 28, 2024, 05:26:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CSTR and PFR in series solution..?  (Read 9418 times)

adnanazrak

CSTR and PFR in series solution..?
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:58:07 PM »
I am trying to solve a CRE problem. a)CSTR followed by PFR in series. The volumes of both are given, the entering flow rate is given. The conversion of each reactor seperately is equal to .4. We are also give a table with conversion factors and corresponding reaction rates. The question is what conversion can be acheived with these two in a series. Also, what conversion can be achieved if pfr is followed by cstr?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: CSTR and PFR in series solution..?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 06:12:53 PM »
Can you post more data/information?

I don't think your CRE problem should be as simple as that, because regardless which reactor comes first, as long as the conversion of both reactors are fixed at 0.4, the overall conversion remains the same. An optimisation problem would arise if one can vary the operating parameters of each reactor.

I believe your CRE problem is an optimisation one.

In general, the operating line of a CSTR can be said to be a point on the operating line of a PFR.

You may consider an interstage cooler to furthur optimise the conversion.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links