March 29, 2024, 11:56:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: converting galactose into glucose  (Read 824 times)

Offline basixski

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
converting galactose into glucose
« on: February 23, 2020, 04:41:31 AM »
HI ALL,

I am doing an experiment where I sperate lactose into its base hydrocarbons of glucose and galactose, I am wondering if there is ANY way at all to convert galactose to glucose, I did some searching on the internet and couldn't come up with anything. The reason why I'm doing this is because my glucose meter does not function accurately in the presence of galactose.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING

help is much appreciated.
THANKS!!!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: converting galactose into glucose
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »
HI ALL,

I am doing an experiment where I sperate lactose into its base hydrocarbons of glucose and galactose, I am wondering if there is ANY way at all to convert galactose to glucose, I did some searching on the internet and couldn't come up with anything. The reason why I'm doing this is because my glucose meter does not function accurately in the presence of galactose.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING

help is much appreciated.
THANKS!!!

In theory, it's possible; but a bit beyond the scope of school chemistry. You can selectively deactivate all the hydroxyl groups that are the same in glucose and galactose, then invert the configuration of those that are left, and reactivate the ones from the first step.

Sponsored Links