April 19, 2024, 01:52:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Grignard Error?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline JoeyBob

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Grignard Error?
« on: February 26, 2020, 08:26:12 PM »
Can someone please explain why/how I went wrong and how the correct mechanism works with these reagents? I think I mess up with the grignard reaction but i dont know how.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Grignard Error?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:48:39 AM »
You missing the alkyl or aryl from the Grignard.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:47:53 AM »
I don't see any obvious problems here - you've given a skeletal drawing of the methyl group in MeMgBr right? I guess being pedantic you should draw the product as OMgBr rather than as an alkoxide. Why do you think there is something wrong with your scheme?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:22:42 AM »
The acetyl group already contains a methyl; after adding MeMgBr you should get -CMe2OH.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:50:11 AM »
Wow - I must have written my answer before my morning coffee! mjc is of course correct

Offline JoeyBob

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
The acetyl group already contains a methyl; after adding MeMgBr you should get -CMe2OH.

That makes sense, but It's still not the right answer. I suppose I should have provided the answer, but I didn't think I'd need to. You're suppose to get this from doing the reagents in the order I did.

Offline JoeyBob

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 06:25:15 PM »
Wow - I must have written my answer before my morning coffee! mjc is of course correct

I agree that I should get that. But the answer using the same reagents in the same order is actually this????

ch3mist

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 07:31:09 PM »
That last step of the synthetic sequence you drew depicts heating in aqueous acid, which implies more than just a simple acidic aqueous workup. Under those conditions, the tertiary alcohol undergoes dehydration via E1 elimination mechanism to afford the alkene product you've shown.

Offline JoeyBob

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
So like this mechanism? I forgot the NH2, but just pretend it's there.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 04:39:27 AM »
Yes, but you need to be more careful with your drawing so you don't make the 2-propenyl group look like a t-butyl group!
There are chemical drawing software packages available, some of them free. If you can't do that, I suggest drawing it freehand on paper and posting a photo, rather than trying to draw it in Paint or whatever you're using. It just isn't clear.

Offline JoeyBob

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
Yes, but you need to be more careful with your drawing so you don't make the 2-propenyl group look like a t-butyl group!
There are chemical drawing software packages available, some of them free. If you can't do that, I suggest drawing it freehand on paper and posting a photo, rather than trying to draw it in Paint or whatever you're using. It just isn't clear.

Yeah I wanted to get pymol a while back but it looked too complicated to download.

Offline hypervalent_iodine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »

Yeah I wanted to get pymol a while back but it looked too complicated to download.

Pymol isn't really useful for this (although it's really not that complicated to download, you just have to go through a couple of extra registration steps). I believe ChemSketch and Marvin Sketch are free? If you are through a university, you should also check to see if they have a licence for ChemDraw that you can access. If not, there is a free web version: https://chemdrawdirect.perkinelmer.cloud/js/sample/index.html

Offline JoeyBob

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »

Pymol isn't really useful for this (although it's really not that complicated to download, you just have to go through a couple of extra registration steps). I believe ChemSketch and Marvin Sketch are free? If you are through a university, you should also check to see if they have a licence for ChemDraw that you can access. If not, there is a free web version: https://chemdrawdirect.perkinelmer.cloud/js/sample/index.html

I've had to use chemdraw before. It isn't really useful for me because drawing out mechanisms on paper or, in this case, using paint, is way faster.

Offline hypervalent_iodine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-1
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 07:16:20 PM »

Practice is key. Regardless, I would suggest that speediness is no substitute for clarity and quality.

Sponsored Links