March 28, 2024, 03:35:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Want to make my own dye at home  (Read 1019 times)

Makdiman

Want to make my own dye at home
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:44:05 AM »
So I've been looking for Organic dyes online for a year now and I've found that vendors have no knowledge on the dye's properties. I've looked up several of the ideal dyes I'd like to get my hands on: Anthraquinones, azos, Indigo, the less easily they oxidize and the more thermally stable, the better. I'm looking to make colored smoke flares.

None of these look like the kind of dye you could make at home using easily acquired things (Strangely enough, can't find no Indigo where I live!) , so I want to take the making into my own hands. I read about betanin, the dye found in beets. It may be a good candidate... but then I also read it degraded when exposed to, well, almost any kind of energy (Light, thermal, oxidizes easily).

My question is, could I somehow obtain a organic dye suitable for use in a flare from common vegetable, plant, fruit, spice etc.?

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
Re: Want to make my own dye at home
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »
You ask serious vendors of food additives and colorants.

donald1

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:05:56 AM »
I’ve dyed several garments. The most success I’ve had was dying already black (but faded) denim black. I’ve failed in other dye attempts because the thread most garments are sewn with polyester and thus doesn’t take the dye. My linen items that were white dyed an ugly gray for some reason when I tried to dye them black. I’ve used Rit which almost always sucks and now use Dylon which is way better as you don’t have to boil anything. Weigh your item and buy the appropriate amount of dye! Definitely follow the instructions 100% and it may be worth it, you’ll never know unless you try (to dye)!

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 04:41:53 AM »
I think you should look up patents covering smoke flares, this is not easy to make without any experience.
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=13&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19890314&CC=US&NR=4812180A&KC=A

Sponsored Links