May 31, 2020, 01:12:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 665 times)

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +19/-2
Coronavirus Vaccine
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
I work in the lipid nanoparticle space, where we deliver mRNA to produce healthy proteins in patients with genetic disorders. I believe we could easily switch to a vaccine program and here's my theory. No real question just thought I'd let people know if they're interested.

Coronavirus is basically a lipid nanoparticle. Its shell is covered in phospholipid and certain proteins. If we inject lipid nanoparticles with mRNA coded to those proteins, the body will produce them. The immune system will then produce antibodies against those proteins. Those antibodies will then hang around for when the actual virus comes along, and destroys it.

I think its the perfect vaccine because it doesn't involve using dead or weakened versions of the virus, with no risk of catching the disease. Let me know what you think.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +77/-19
Re: Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »
If this works then it is great. Send your opinion to experts to WHO.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1686/-400
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:39:10 AM »
I read somewhere that the vaccine that is going to human trials is based on RNA, even without proteins. So it is not like the similar idea wasn't taken into account :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +482/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 07:08:18 PM »
This is essentially the approach that the company Moderna is taking, and they have already begun Phase I clinical trial to test the safety of their mRNA vaccine against the SARS-CoV-2 virus behind the COVID-19 outbreak (https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/).  However, it is worth noting that neither Moderna nor any other company has gotten any mRNA drug (vaccine or otherwise) through FDA approval.  Here's a nice article discussing where mRNA vaccine approaches have failed in the past: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03072-8

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »
Thanks, I work for the company that pioneered the LNP technology that Moderna uses. Prior to the outbreak, we have been in lawsuits with them as they are using our technology despite patents. Moderna are much bigger though and have the resources to be able to get to trials quicker than us. At the moment though, I'm ok with it if it means finding a vaccine, but I would have preferred that Moderna did the right thing and worked with us on it.

Sponsored Links