Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

why Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide are not considered as organic substance?

(1/2) > >>

Wil":
why Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide are not considered as organic substance, even they both contain carbon?

Borek:

--- Quote from: wlkks on September 08, 2006, 09:37:29 AM ---why Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide are not considered as organic substance, even they both contain carbon?

--- End quote ---

By definition.

Albert:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry

Check out the first paragraph.

HP:
"Why not?" is the question no true chemist can answer you with pure mind and heart  ;) If there's no reason these compounds not acepted as true organic molecules, by my opinion some burocratic person(s) has decided this pure absurd to be writen as  paragraph in existing chemistry paradigmas...Arguing against  paradigmas, every reason man can concider these 2 compounds as truly organic - so "organic" that CO2 is what plants are consuming for next all animals to can feed with, and CO is one of the most important reagents in the primitive Earth atmosphere for later life to be born from, and also a key compound in Industrial organic synthesis (see hydroformilation reactions, Reppe process and many others) :)
P.S. As i know HCN and its isomer HNC: are acepted as organic molecules and also their molecule weights are 1 less than that of CO and the second isomer is structurally very similar to C=O polarized form (see parahors of CO and isocyanides)...

pantone159:
I'm inclined to call them organic, but I'm not really a chemist so I don't care if that is officially 'right' or not.
I'd also count diamond, and graphite (which has C-C pi bonds, after all) as 'organic'.  It's just a technicality, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version