March 28, 2024, 08:47:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Compound identification  (Read 1186 times)

Offline breakingfat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Compound identification
« on: March 23, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »
Hello all. I recently bought some nutritional supplements that contain this compound(and only this), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20-Hydroxyecdysone , but I have a feeling that I might have been ripped off. I tried to find an efficient way to determine whether the product was genuine or not but couldn't find anything useful on my old high school books or the internet. Could anyone assist me in this task? I would be vary grateful.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Compound identification
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
20-Hydroxyecdysone and other ecdysteroids are used in biochemistry research as inducers in transgenic animals, whereby a new gene is introduced into an animal so that its expression is under the control of an introduced ecdysone receptor.

Nothing for human I think.

Offline breakingfat

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 12:52:26 PM »
Here is a recent study. It is also believed that Russians used this for their athletes during the cold war era.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31123801

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
Not something you would be able to analyse it without a really fancy equipment, I don't see other options than sending it to a professional lab.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline breakingfat

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:56 PM »
Couldn't I do something simpler? I know for example that you can use metallic sodium to determine if an organic substance has OH because the sodium will replace it and hydrogen will be emitted. But metallic sodium isn't exactly easy to acquire, so I was asking for something similar but more simple.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:03:02 PM »
Many many compounds will react with sodium in that way. There truly is no way to determine that you got exactly what you want, and that its pure, without a real lab. LC-MS frankly.... maybe NMR.

Maybe there is some colorimetric test for syn diols, but thats pretty niche and would require access to knowledge and chemicals that you'll only find in a big lab.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »
20-Hydroxyecdysone and other ecdysteroids are used in biochemistry research as inducers in transgenic animals, whereby a new gene is introduced into an animal so that its expression is under the control of an introduced ecdysone receptor.

Nothing for human I think.

In clearer words: DANGER, DO NOT EAT IT? Did I understand properly?

Sponsored Links