April 18, 2024, 11:26:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to find the composition of an unknown precipitate?  (Read 990 times)

Offline Geckoguy20

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to find the composition of an unknown precipitate?
« on: March 23, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
I am working on some chemistry homework and I encountered a question that I am having a hard time with.

"After the precipitate from the sodium carbonate and iron compound reaction was filtered and dried, the mass was 0.180 grams. Write balanced chemical reactions for the iron compound as Iron (III) and as Iron (II)  with the sodium carbonate. What is the precipitate?"

Basically 0.002 moles of sodium carbonate were added to a solution of water and some unknown iron compound. When the sodium carbonate was added a precipitate formed.

Here is a link to the video of the reaction: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aq5POw2sTHozL2_yBOdVn2YnS8K2natP/view?usp=sharing

Any help would be very much appreciated!
(I don't want the answer I just want to know how to solve the problem)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:53:03 PM by Geckoguy20 »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: How to find the composition of an unknown precipitate?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:47:26 PM »
Basically 0.002 moles of sodium carbonate were added to a solution of water and some unknown iron compound. When the sodium bicarbonate was added a precipitate formed.
Which one?

You should show your attempt.
AWK

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: How to find the composition of an unknown precipitate?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
What could it be, if you add sodiumCARBONATE. But how is the strength of carbonic acid. Which compound will be formed instead. Which oxidation number has the iron if you see the colour of the solution in the movie?

Sponsored Links