April 19, 2024, 04:38:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is BeF2 linear while SF2 is angular?  (Read 29159 times)

Offline funboy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-4
Why is BeF2 linear while SF2 is angular?
« on: September 09, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »
The question is

Explain why BeF2 is linear and SF2 angular

Be has 2 electrons available for bonding
F has 7 electrons available for bonding

therefore

Be--F--Be
This is linear

With SF2

S has 6 electrons available for bonding
F has 7 electrons available for bonding

when I draw the lewis dot structure for this atom I have two lone pairs of electrons at opposite sides of the molecule, wouldnt the repulsion of these two lone pairs (that have the same repulsion) push this molecule into a linear molecule??

I am not overly familiar with drawing dot structures, but I would see
 F-S-F

Something like that.

I want to say that if I look at the level which the bond takes place and the levels of the two lone pairs there would be a different amount of repulsion, but Im not possitive.

Im guessing that one lone pair is from the 3p level and the other is from the 3s level.

Am I close??

BTW

Im loving chemistry now.

:)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 06:00:57 AM by geodome »

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re: Help with question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »
Im guessing that one lone pair is from the 3p level and the other is from the 3s level.

what actually takes place is hybridisation, so that all the bonds are equal. you may like to look it up further.

also, when considering the shape of the molecule; only bonds about the central atom need to be considered. this may help you determine the shape faster :)
one learns best by teaching

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help with question
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 04:44:33 PM »
Be--F--Be

Check this out :)

See xiankai suggestion.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Why is BeF2 linear while SF2 is angular?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 06:44:36 AM »
what actually takes place is hybridisation, so that all the bonds are equal.

Google for Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion (VSEPR) theory
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Korokian

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »
http://web.centre.edu/anesk/che117/sept21.ppt

theres some vsepr geometry help for you

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »
Beryllium fluoride is linear because Beryllium only needs 4 electrons to attain an octet.  Boron only needs 6.  These are two exceptions to the rules.  Born and Beryllium are electron deficient atoms that can form several gaseous compounds, such as BeF2.

So Beryllium has no lone pairs and two bonds.  Therefore it is sp hybridized and takes a linear molecular geometry.

Note— Number of bonds = number of hybrid orbitals mixed, so in the case of beryllium fluoride we have two bonds and no lone pairs, making sp the only viable hybridization.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:11:25 AM by k.V. »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 05:04:33 AM »
Beryllium fluoride is linear because Beryllium only needs 4 electrons to attain an octet.

Even after bonding, the Beryllium atom does not contain 8 electrons in its valence shell. The term octet does not apply. In total, there are only 2 electron pairs in the valence shell of Beryllium in BeF2. By VSEPR Theory, the hybridisation of the Beryllium therefore must be sp, which indicates a bond angle of 180o.

Born and Beryllium are electron deficient atoms that can form several gaseous compounds, such as BeF2.

BeF2 has a melting point of 552oC. However, compounds with electron deficient atoms tend to dimerise to achieve octet, such as AlCl3.

Note— Number of bonds = number of hybrid orbitals mixed

This is so not true. There 4 electron pairs in the valence shell of S in SF2 - 2 bonding pairs and 2 lone pairs/ By VSEPR Theory, the hybridisation of S must be sp3, which indicates a bond angle of 109.5o. However, due to uneven distribution of repulsion between the different type of electron pairs, the bond angle is actually smaller. This is because electronic repulsion from the lone pairs pushes the 2 bonding pairs closer to each other, thus reducing the bond angle.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 01:10:12 PM »
This is so not true. There 4 electron pairs in the valence shell of S in SF2 - 2 bonding pairs and 2 lone pairs/ By VSEPR Theory, the hybridisation of S must be sp3, which indicates a bond angle of 109.5°. However, due to uneven distribution of repulsion between the different type of electron pairs, the bond angle is actually smaller. This is because electronic repulsion from the lone pairs pushes the 2 bonding pairs closer to each other, thus reducing the bond angle.

I know.

I tend to think of lone pairs as sigma bonds, so I have a habit of saying number of bonds and not saying number of bonds plus lone pairs

But I was only talking about BeF2 anyway.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:43:48 PM by k.V. »

Sponsored Links