March 28, 2024, 08:15:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: About chemiometric tests  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Kyriee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
About chemiometric tests
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:09:51 AM »
Hi all!
The new semester just started and I'm following Chemiometrics courses online, due to the lockdown.
One of the first topics the Professor talked about is Student's t test, as well as Shapiro-Wilk's test and many other ones (Fisher's F...).
From what I'm seeing, they are just a bunch of formulas that need to be applied, but there isn't any sort of "concept" that needs to be understood. They look like some mathematical methods, that doesn't need to be understood, even if they are very useful.

Did someone/everyone else had this experience? Or am I missing something fundamental?
In this case, do you have any sources that could be helpful for me?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: About chemiometric tests
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
From what I'm seeing, they are just a bunch of formulas that need to be applied, but there isn't any sort of "concept" that needs to be understood.

That's definitely wrong. While I can't point you to any resource where these things are nicely discussed, they are not art for an art's sake. The 'concept' behind is 'how much I can trust conclusions based on my data?' as opposed to 'just a random coincidence'.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kyriee

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 04:30:18 PM »
I mean, I undestand the fact that these methods are used to understand how much I can trust my theories. What I don't get, is how the formulas are derived. Are they given? Is there any demonstration for them? Something like this.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 12:13:35 AM »
@Kyriee
I am guessing that your professor assumes you have sufficient mathematics classes including exposure to statistics. In that class you would have been exposed to the theory and derivations of the formulas that he/she gave you.

I also found that additional classes I had in how to apply statistics and experimental methods enhance the initial course I had in the mathematics department. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

Sponsored Links