April 23, 2024, 09:34:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chem Lab from Home - Question  (Read 1267 times)

Offline SomeGarlic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chem Lab from Home - Question
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »
I'm trying to figure out where the mol and g/mol answers are derived from. I don't need the answers, but I just need to know what I should be using to get those answers. I hope the image I sent will give enough information to get the correct answers. There is one other group of tests in which I derived that one answer that obviously states it was derived from the other test. That's confusing but yeah, let me know if more info's needed.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chem Lab from Home - Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »
Looks like a titration problem - you know mass of the sample, you know the reaction - just follow the stoichiometry.

How many moles of base reacted?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SomeGarlic

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 09:16:17 AM »
Here's the first test which I believe correlates in some way, but outside of that, I'm not sure what else I could use.
And I'm not exactly sure how to apply the stoichiometry with the numbers I have. I'm assuming the 0.26 g sample is what you're referring to, but how can I use it here?

Thanks for the response btw!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
You know number of moles of OH-, you know acid is diprotic - how many moles of the acid?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SomeGarlic

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 08:11:31 PM »
I do know that it has 6 molarity if that helps. I don't think it blatantly states the moles. Supposedly, I should be capable of getting the answers simply from what's given, based off what my lab teacher told me.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 03:55:45 AM »
You know the reaction equation, it was given on the very first image you posted. If you know the reaction equation and number of moles of one reactant, you can easily calculate number of moles of every other reactant.

Offline SomeGarlic

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »
Oh okay, I see what you're saying. So what if I utilized the molarity and mL to find the moles in one of the reactants? Is that a possibility?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:28 PM »
s that a possibility?
These are the basic chemical calculations that chemistry begins with.
AWK

Offline SomeGarlic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
My issue isn't so much a problem with the equations themselves, but with how they're applied. This lab has multiple parts which is confusing me as to what I should be using where. Although I would like to say I can just use the molarity formula to find the moles of the reactant, I don't know if that's correct in terms of the information provided. I would know it's correct if I was only given 2 numbers to find it. The rest of them just confuse my brain and its lack of chemistry knowledge. Basically, when more factors are in play than just a provided set of numbers for a specific equation, I don't know which ones to use.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline SomeGarlic

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »
Okay, those are both pretty handy. Seeing how the ratios work out is definitely clearer. I'm not entirely sure if I understand what I would need for my lab, but I should be able to make an educated guess. Thanks for the help Borek, and thanks for the link AWK!

Sponsored Links