March 28, 2024, 02:35:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Artist in Need  (Read 1630 times)

Sasha9891

Artist in Need
« on: April 11, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Sasha and I'm currently working on an art project for which I'd need the help of a few science nerds  ;D (please bare with me if that sounded offensive).

I have been looking all over the internet trying to find a transparent gelatinous substance that doesn't rot or fall apart over time and that is safe to breathe or touch obviously. I don't know if I just used the wrong keywords or simply didn't find it on google but here I am!

If anyone could tell me either how to make such substance myself or find a way to get my hands on it, it would be very appreciated!

Thank you so much,

Sasha

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Artist in Need
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »
Glue

Ovalman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
Glue dries. Sasha, can you be more specific? What are you using this for? What qualities do you need most from it (flexibility, transparency, etc.)? How thickly will you be forming it? Etc. Sorry that nothing immediately comes to mind.

I'm no chemist, I'm an artist (painter) who happens to be on this board with a question of my own.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:36:01 PM »
Some silicones rubbers are transparent and extremely soft. Available commercially, or you can make yours by vulcanizing a silicone oil instead of a silicone paste. It's not exactly gelatinous, it's a very soft rubber. And it deforms slowly over time.

Gels can also be transparent and very soft. Still rubber-like.

Then you have edible gelatines. But some people don't want to touch them.

Latex is not very transparent. Depending on the (lack of) vulcanisation, it can be very soft. This one doesn't creep over time. Allergies exist, hypoallergenic latex exists too.

Sponsored Links