Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

Used Sodium Hydroxide car wash detergent barrel to collect rain water

(1/2) > >>

Aunt B:
I'd like to make a rain barrel using an old 55 gal drum that has contained Sodium Hydroxide if it's safe to use the water collected in such a barrel on my garden & plants?

I've included pics showing the barrel's stickers that say: Lustra Performix Alkaline Presoak and "Corrosive 8 Sodium Hydroxide Solution, UNI824".

My own research attempt was able to learn that this is a detergent used in car washes. In trying to research safety, I found a similar question about a used barrel (that had had chemicals in it) and the advice given was to ask in a chemistry forum. So, here I am.

I appreciate your time and any replies, Thank you!

chenbeier:
Rinse it carefully add some vinegar and rinse again.

jeffmoonchop:
If you can find them, get some pH strips. Fill the bucket with water to the brim and test pH, let it sit for a while and test again. We use NaOH to sterilize some of our equipment and we often use pH strips to ensure its all been washed out before we use it.

Aunt B:

--- Quote from: jeffmoonchop on April 06, 2020, 12:41:24 PM ---If you can find them, get some pH strips. Fill the bucket with water to the brim and test pH, let it sit for a while and test again. We use NaOH to sterilize some of our equipment and we often use pH strips to ensure its all been washed out before we use it.

--- End quote ---
Would pool test strips work? What pH reading is acceptable when you use them to ensure sterilization?

Aunt B:

--- Quote from: chenbeier on April 06, 2020, 11:12:53 AM ---Rinse it carefully add some vinegar and rinse again.

--- End quote ---
Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version