April 23, 2024, 04:14:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining concentration of Sodium Oxybate in two different solutions?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Alembic Pentameter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have two solutions containing sodium oxybate, but no easy way to determine the quantity in either, or for maybe at the simplest level, prove they are not the same formulation?

I've had a chemistry friends suggest gc-ms, but that I gather would only really address whether sodium oxybate is present in the solutions and nothing more.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10398662B1/en
"The solubility of sodium oxybate is unusually high. For example, a Xyrem solution is provided as 500 mg/mL concentration in water, or 42 wt %, and its solubility limit is considerably higher."

In this case, it's consistently been registering at 41.69%-41.75 solution weight, hence trying to dig a little deeper.

Could the nature of tests that could be shedding light on this or the proper way to approach the problem have some light shed on it?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
I am not sure you talking about liquid ecstasy?
If yes no discussions here.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
As long as we are not discussing practical details of the synthesis it is OK.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Alembic Pentameter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The question is strictly regarding how to approach a sample comparison or quantifying what is in each solution (and likely rendering any sodium oxybate in the solution useless anyways).

Would it be something like trying to add something to the solution that would pull the sodium oxybate out of the solution / allow it to be weighed? Then something else added to the solution to see if the expected amount of the first something is left behind because it didn't couldn't bind to the expected concentration of sodium oxybate?

Sponsored Links