April 26, 2024, 11:10:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Purest H2O2  (Read 1191 times)

Offline rawgarlic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Purest H2O2
« on: April 15, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
Hello there!

So I need some pure H2O2. Problem is that the one from the farmacies is adulterated. Is there any way I can distill h2o2 from there and get only h2o2 and water?

Thanks!

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Purest H2O2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
No,  distillation of hydrogen peroxide is dangerous. Explosion can occur.
So don't do that.

Offline rawgarlic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »
Any other way to purify it?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »
In your opening post you write that you need "pure H2O2", which would seem to imply that you are trying to get concentrated H2O2 with no water. However later in your post you mention impurities and that you want only solutions of "h2o2 and water". So I think you need to be more specific about what you are trying to get: concentrated H2O2 with no water in it, or just remove any impurities from the peroxide solution you have.

Commercial peroxide solutions have stabilizers to increase their shelf life. There may be procedures to remove these impurities but I am not aware of them. However I will echo previous advice that you not distill peroxide solutions yourself if you don't have proper equipment and experience. Highly concentrated solutions (~70%) of hydrogen peroxide are dangerously unstable and explosive.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 07:33:05 AM »
Even if not by distillation! Concentrated peroxide, even while stored immobile at room temperature, would kill you.

Just by mentioning the compound, which serves for nefarious purposes, you've already raised the attention of governmental agencies.

Sponsored Links