April 27, 2024, 06:20:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Remdesivir and sofosbuvir prodrug structure question  (Read 1255 times)

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
Remdesivir and sofosbuvir prodrug structure question
« on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »
I looked at the structures of these two antiviral compounds.  They both have a derivative of phosphoric acid at the 5'-position of the ribose that is esterified with a phenyl group.  There is also an alanine that is joined to the phosphorus via the amino nitrogen of the alanine residue in a phosphoramidate linkage.  Finally the carboxylate end of alanine is esterified, either with isopropanol or a 6-carbon alcohol.

I am interested in the reasons for these choices.  The molecules are neutral, and I presume that this is to make them more membrane-permeable.  Having one phosphorus is at least reasonable if you want a triphosphate analog, although prodrugs without one phosphorus are known or even a ribose or deoxyribose ring.  But I am wondering about the choice of alanine.  Why an amino acid, and why that particular amino acid?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Remdesivir and sofosbuvir prodrug structure question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:02:47 PM »
They have probably tested many esters and amids before settling for this combination, I guess it makes the prodrug exactly as stable as is optimal. It should pass through the intestine and in to the liver where it is hydrolyzed to the free monophosphate.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline hollytara

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 04:52:13 PM »
I assume they interfere with RNA synthesis and therefore block the virus from proliferating. 

It is a tricky balance - stop viral RNA synthesis but try not to stop healthy cell RNA synthesis too much.

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »
1). Alanine esterification increases lipophilicity and helps the prodrug absorption.
2). Alanine is a small amino acid and consequently, the prodrug derivative is not so bulky to delay/inhibit the prodrug absorption.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
That is an interesting article.  The reason for including the phosphorus (what will become the α-phosphorus of an analog of a nucleoside triphosphate) is that biological addition of the first phosphoryl group is the slowest process.  Apparently the phosphoramidates have been around for a while and are called ProTides.

From what I can gather elsewhere compounds such as these potentially have three means of working as antivirals.  One is by chain termination (stopping the polymerase); two is by causing an increasing number of mutations; and three is by inhibiting enzymes other than RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.  Remdesivir is a delayed chain terminator.  The polymerase adds a few more residues and then quits.
https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/041020/slipping-past-the-proofreader
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:57:46 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline pgk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +97/-24
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:27:11 AM »
Mechanisms of action of remedsivir and sofosbuvir, respectively:
1). Mechanism of Inhibition of Ebola Virus RNA-Dependent RNA Polymerase by Remdesivir Viruses, 11(4), e-Article: 326, (2019)
https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/11/4/326
2). Efficiency of Incorporation and Chain Termination Determines the Inhibition Potency of 2′-Modified Nucleotide Analogs against Hepatitis C Virus Polymerase, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 58(7), 3636–3645, (2014)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4068585/

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »
Some good reading there.  Thank you.

Sponsored Links