March 28, 2024, 09:19:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The essentials for studying nanochemistry  (Read 1535 times)

Offline OuJej1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The essentials for studying nanochemistry
« on: April 20, 2020, 05:11:20 AM »
Greetings, fellow forumsmen,
I'll jump straight to the point - I'm just finishing high school and entering college in a few months. The title probably suggests what I'll be studying. When making this decision half a year ago, I was quite surprised myself how many fields does nanochemistry get involved in.

Sitting around at home with a lots of free time gives you great opportunity to learn new skills or gain useable knowledge. Apart from reviewing general chemistry for my final exam, I think it's a good idea to focus on future too.

I would love it if you could recommend me which topics are, in your opinion, the most important for my future studies. Should I just keep reviewing what I've learned in high school, since everything will be equally important? Or is there anything specific to learn for the basics of nanochemistry? (I'm also quite interested in importance of physics and math in relation to this subject)

Thanks for your time,
Good day to you all!

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: The essentials for studying nanochemistry
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 11:59:42 AM »
SAMs, aka self assembled monolayers is a good, simple enough, topic to start with.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: The essentials for studying nanochemistry
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
OuJej1,
Nanoscience isn't so much a unique science or technology itself. My suggestion is to think about what really interests you, and then make the goal to see how nanotechnology interfaces with it. If you like biomedicine, then biological applications may be the way to go. Environmental science, food, structural engineering, etc and so forth. Nanotech has uses in all of them.
Most universities don't have a "nanotechnology department" per se.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links