March 28, 2024, 08:20:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Safety of Replacement Screw  (Read 1553 times)

Offline ReplacementScrew

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Safety of Replacement Screw
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »
I'm sorry if this isn't the appropriate place for this. I'm a layman who hasn't studied chemistry but I need to ask this.

I've been assembling a box-delivered propane barbeque grill. It comes with a counted variety of screws to be used. One screw was missing, so I found an old screw that is of acceptable size and shape to use instead.

But I'm wondering if it can be dangerous to use an unintended screw because of what it may be made of. Reactions to heat? Smoke?

Is this a legitimate concern and if so what advice could you give?

Thank you very much.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Safety of Replacement Screw
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »
Dont worry, if the screw is made of stainless steel, its no problem. Screws made from plastic or coated ones with Zinc, Cadmium,etc. maybe a problem.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Safety of Replacement Screw
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 05:32:47 AM »
Directly in the flame, only stainless steel keeps some limited mechanical resistance. Normal steel oxidises quickly up to breaking.

At a more reasonable place, like +300°C, don't worry too much, provided the stress is reasonable. A banal screw will corrode over time, but you see it on time.

If Bauhaus exists where you live, they sell stainless screws and nuts, including of guaranteed quality, and in small amount.

Sponsored Links